M 362K, Spring 03, Smith
Assignment for Wednesday, September 10
1. Read Section 1.3
2. Try #2, 4, 9 on pp. 15 - 16
- Vocabulary to learn: Permutation.
- Note carefully the reasoning involved in the solutions of the examples.
3. Read Example 5b (p. 36), first solution only.
- In #2, what would the answer be if the die had n sides instead of 6?
- In #9, assume that you can't distinguish between two blocks of the
- Write out your reasoning for each problem.
- You can check your final answers in the back of the book.
4. Try #16a, f, g on p. 55. Be sure to write our your reasoning.
5. Read Section 1.4.
6. Try #13, 14, 15 on p. 16.
- Vocabulary to learn: Combination.
- Notation to learn: the notation for the number of combinations of n
things taken r at a time. (p. 6)
- Be sure to think about the difference between a permution and a combination,
and where you use each.
- Try to prove the identity at the top of p. 8 analytically -- i.e.,
by using formulas.
7. Read the second solution of Example 5b on p. 36.
- In #13, what would the answer be if there were n people? Try to do
this problem two ways: Once using either permutions or combinations (Which
one of these applies here? Why?), and once another way.
- Write out youre reasoning for each problem.
- You can check your answer to #13 and 14 in the back of the book.
8. Read Example 5c onp. 36.
9. Try #15a, 18 on p. 55
- Write out your reasoning.
- You can check your answers in the back of the book.