BASIC MINITAB INFORMATION
1. Remember that when using a computer, things sometimes go wrong.
If what you first try doesn’t work, try again or try a reasonable variation.
Follow any instructions in dialogue boxes that may appear. Try using on-line
help. Try asking someone for help.
2. If you are using a computer other than a math department one (or if the
math department system has changed since last I looked), instructions may
vary slightly from those below, but you can probably figure out what
to do from what is given here and on-line help.
Help: Unfortunately, Help does not work on math department
Minitab. But if you are using Minitab elsewhere, make use of the Help
feature when you get stuck.
- Data are entered as on a spreadsheet in the "Worksheet"window.
- You may label columns -- but there may be a limit to the number of
characters you can use.
- Most are relatively self-explanatory.
- Columns may be entered by label or column number (c1, c2, etc.), or
by double-clicking on the column in the list at the left of the dialgue box.
- Explore bottons such as "options" if you can't do quite what you want.
Graphs The Graph menu gives dialogue boxes for a variety of types
of graphs. Note the "Edit Attributes" button on the Plot dialogue box --
this allows you to choose another plotting symbol rather than the default
Basic Statistics This gives you mean, median, max, min, etc. Note
the item"by column" -- this allows you to find means, etc. of different
treatment groups, if you have the treatment group labeled by number in a