M f396C: Topics in Probability and Statistics, Summer, 2008
Unique Number: 93655
Dates: June 9 - 25
Time: M-F 10-11:30 and 1 - 2:30
Class Web Page: http://www.ma.utexas.edu/users/mks/396C08/Mf396C08home.html (There is a link from Blackboard.)
Instructor: Smith, RLM 10.136, 471-6142, mksatmath.utexas.edu,
Office hours: As arranged.
TA: Pippa Charters, RLM 12.144, pcharteratmath.utexas.edu Office hours: TBA
Prerequisites: Enrollment in
the UTeach Master's program, or permission of the instructor. Calculus
will be used as needed; instructor will pass out a review sheet on
Overview of course topics: The
role of measures in statistics; random variables and their
distributions and properties; various types of means and their uses;
basic probability concepts; Bayes' Theorem and various applications;
confidence intervals; introduction to Bayesian statistics. There will
be a mix of theory and applications.
Class Format: Some lecture, but as much as possible problem based.
Grading Policy: Grades will be based on homework and class participation.
Required Materials: None. Materials will be passed out as needed. You may wish to have a three-hole notebook to keep them in.
- Will be assigned for most morning and most afternoon sessions.
- Some will be handed in, others presented orally or discussed.
- You are expected to be able to explain what you are doing and why.
- Problems to be handed in are to be written carefully, paying attention to reasons, logic, and exposition.
Facilities available for your use:
Academic accommodatoins for students with disabilities:
The University of Texas at Austin provides upon request appropriate
academic accommodations for qualified students wiht disabilities. For
more information, contact the Office of the Dean of Students at
471-6259, 471-6441 TTY.
- The classsroom should be available for your use all day. You may also use the Math Department Lounge, RLM 12.104.
- Math department computer labs: 7.122 (big lab), 8.118, 9.120, 10.130,
13.138 (small labs). Unix system has Star
Office (but not
Microsoft Office) and Minitab. To obtain an account, click on the
button that says "Obtain an Account" (probably in the top left corner
of the screen) of a terminal in one of the labs. You will need to fill
in your UT ID, the class number, and instructor name.
- UTeach facilities in Painter Hall -- you know better than I do what's available there.