- 01-378 F. Manzo
- Infinite-volume Metastability: on the shape of early droplets
(277K, pdf gzipped)
Oct 16, 01
(auto. generated pdf),
of related papers
Abstract. We study a very simple model for nucleation-and-growth in infinite volume
in the low-temperature limit.
Despite its simplicity,
this model exhibits a very rich metastable behavior.
Depending on the speed of growth, the system goes trough four
1) both the ``shape of the critical droplet''
and the typical relaxation time are the same as in finite volume.
2) the ``shape of the critical droplet" and its ``formation
rate'' are the same as in finite volume but the
``relaxation time'' is shorter
3) the ``shape of the critical droplet" is the same as in finite volume
while the nucleation rate is smaller
4) the ``shape of the critical droplet" is different from what we have in
finite volume and its formation rate is smaller than the finite-volume
formation rate of the finite-volume droplet.