Fall 2016 M408R
Tentative Course Schedule
(Last revised September 27)
Main units of the course.
- The SIR model and Euler's method. Aug 24-September 12
- Derivatives and differention rules. Sept 15-Oct 7.
- Exponentials, logs, and models of growth. Oct 10-21
- Integrals. Oct 24-November 9
- Anti-derivatives and integration methods. November 11-December 5.
- First midterm on Wednesday September 21
- Second midterm on Monday, October 17
- Third midterm on Monday, November 21
- Final exam, Tuesday, December 13, 9-12.
Rhythm of the class
- On Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays we will usually be going over new
material. The Learning Module for each section of the book
(also known as a pre-class
assignment) is due at midnight the night before we begin that material,
so that you're well-prepared for our activities in lecture.
- On most Tuesdays and Thursdays you will spend your time doing worksheets
in groups. The titles of the worksheets are listed below. These worksheets
should be turned in at the end of class.
- There are occasional individual homeworks (IH) and mini-projects (MP).
The due dates are listed below.
- Week 1, August 24-26: SIR Model and Euler's Method
- Wednesday: Introduction. What is calculus?
- Thursday: Team formation. Spread of disease.
- Friday: Section 1.1
- Week 2, August 29- September 2: SIR Model and Euler's Method
- Week 3, September 5-9: SIR Model and Euler's Method
- Week 4, September 12-16: Derivatives and differentiation rules
- Week 5, September 19-23: Derivatives and differentiation rules
- Monday: Section 3.5
- Tuesday: Review for first midterm
- Wednesday: First midterm exam
- Friday: Section 3.6
- Week 6, September 26 - 30: Derivatives and differentiation rules
- Week 7, October 3-7: Derivatives and differentiation rules
- Week 8, October 10-14: Exponentials, logs, and models of growth
- Monday: Section 4.4
Exponential growth and decay
- Wednesday: Section 4.1
- Thursday: Exam Review
- Friday: Section 4.1 continued or midterm review
IH 4 due.
- Week 9, October 17-21: Exponentials, logs, and models of growth
- Week 10, October 24-28: Integrals
- Week 11, October 31-November 4: Integrals
- Week 12, November 7-11: Integrals and Anti-derivatives
- Monday: Section 6.4
Boulder, Colorado flood
- Wednesday: More Section 6.4.
- Thursday: TBD
- Friday: Section 11.1
- Week 13, November 14-18: Anti-derivatives and integration methods
- Week 14, November 21-25: Anti-derivatives and integration methods
- Monday: Third Midterm
- Tuesday: Go over exam
- Wednesday: No class
- Thursday: Thanksgiving. No class.
- Friday: No class.
- Week 15, November 28 - December 2:
Anti-derivatives and integration methods
- Monday, December 5. Last day of class. Course review.
- Tuesday, December 13, 9AM-Noon: Final exam.